Dec 3, 2014

Twelve Days of Apps: Lazoo Squiggles & Kapu Blocks (Day 3)

 (Creative Commons image: Jesper Hauge)
For Day Three, I couldn't decide between these two apps, plus I feel like I've told almost everyone I know about this first one already, so really, I almost OWE you a second app recommendation today.

 (image: simplyrealmoms.com)

Title: Lazoo: Squiggles
Developer: Lazoo
Pricing: Free
Platform: iOS (Apple)
Summary:  Have you heard of Lazoo?  They actually have a number of free apps (Squiggles is my favorite) and apparently they also have books and are starting a television show (they even had clothing at one point).... I think that all the extra merchandise opportunities are why the apps are free, but I'm not complaining.  The apps are well-designed and have solid play value.  Squiggles is a great way to practice scribbling (which is a pre-writing exercise!).  Kids are given a picture prompt and they can scribble exhaust from a car or a mane on a lion or one of several other ideas.  When they're done with their drawing, the click a button and their drawing is animated (the cars drive, the lions roar, etc.
If you like this, try: the DipDap app.  I haven't tried it myself, but it was reviewed well by a trusted source.  Let me know what you think!

  (image: itunes)

Title: Kapu Blocks
Developer: Kapu Toys
Pricing: Paid
Platform: iOS (Apple) & Android
Summary:  Use a crane to build a tower, then use the wrecking ball to knock it down.  The towers aren't your usual towers--some options include a hamburger tower or a bunny rabbit tower.  Also, sometimes the towers do strange things like sprout legs and hop away! Lots of silly fun to be had with this app plus.... there's a CRANE!
If you like this, try: mixing up other toy sets into your child's blocks.  Add some play food or vehicles and try to build towers incorporating those other objects.  How tall can you build a stack of stuffed animals? How tall can you build a stack of board books?  Of course, the best part is... knocking the towers down!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise